Filthy cockroach-infested restaurant is closed down
By poppy_smith | Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 22:12
A filthy, cockroach infested Stroud Green restaurant has been closed down after a customer found a cockroach in a chicken roti.
After the customer complained to Haringey Council about the roti, bought from the Hummingbird Restaurant, 84 Stroud Green Road, Hornsey, council food hygiene officers carried out an inspection on 4 January.
This revealed a severe cockroach infestation, poor hygiene practices in the food preparation area with accumulations of grease, dirt and food debris on equipment and the floor; there was also only an intermittent supply of hot running water.
The officers felt this posed an imminent risk to public health and served a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notice and closed the restaurant.
Cllr Nilgun Canver, Cabinet Member for the Environment, said: "The council's food hygiene officers responded after hearing about the cockroach in the roti and may well have averted several cases of food poisoning. It is essential that cafés and restaurants adhere to food hygiene regulations. If they fail to do so they will be inspected and closed down."
At the hearing at Enfield Magistrates' Court on 10 January, despite protestations from the Hummingbird's barrister, the magistrate approved the Order to close the restaurant.
It must now remain closed until food hygiene officers are satisfied it is clean and safe to re-open.
Full costs of £565 were awarded to the council.